[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 27 22:19:18 CET 2014

Am 27.10.2014 um 19:59 schrieb Sven Barth:

>> No problem with all that, interesting ideas even, but not with the current codebase and RTL.
> Florian has written me an idea two weeks ago regarding the "backwards compatibility" aspect (I won't
> argue the performance impact one ;) ):
> - TObject and all descendants are reference counted (please no size and performance discussion here)

I doubt that the performance impact is measurable if no ref. counting references are used because if
the refcount=1 no interlocked operation is needed. And even if interlocked operations are needed: On
modern systems they hurt not much. Neither do I believe in significant memory increase. I'll test
with the compiler next week.