[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 20:49:50 CET 2014

Kostas Michalopoulos schrieb:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
> <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com <mailto:DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>> wrote:
>
>     Then the compiler can safely generate refcounting code for *all*
>     objects and non-weak references, and the counting methods take care
>     of required operations
>

> Wouldn't that cause all objects to "pay" (both in terms of performance
> and memory) for something that they don't use?

Right, that's why I suggest to keep both models separate. But the real
runtime impact has to be benchmarked - it may be as low as with other
managed types (AnsiString...), where nobody has complaints. Memory usage
(4 bytes per object) should not matter, Delphi accepts it just for
mobile devices!

> IMO it is better to fully
> disallow subclasses from introducing reference counting than force
> functionality on objects that they don't need to use.

It *looks* better, but has several issues.

DoDi