[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Oct 27 21:06:30 CET 2014

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> Florian has written me an idea two weeks ago regarding the "backwards
> compatibility" aspect (I won't argue the performance impact one ;) ):

Let's not christen this a step forward. So talking about backwards is
premature :-)

> - TObject and all descendants are reference counted (please no size and
> performance discussion here)

No they are not. Of course they are not. That would be stupid.

> - in code that does not use ARC ("modeswitch arc off" - the default; or
> maybe better a local directive) all instance variables are considered "weak"

But Tobject becomes bigger yet again. This is a *ROOT* class, the D2009
additions are already painful enough without voluntarily adding to it.

> With this approach there would be no change for legacy code

So now this is the way to go forward by default. Hell no!