[fpc-devel] Proof of Concept ARC implementation

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 26 10:44:35 CET 2014

Sven Barth schrieb:
> Am 25.10.2014 03:17 schrieb "Hans-Peter Diettrich" <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
> <mailto:DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>>:
>  >> - a class instance is destroyed once the reference count reaches
> zero (and Free does not work for them)
>  >
>  >
>  > Shouldn't Free be usable as a finalizer, clearing all references to
> other objects within this instance?
>
> One could do that (for now I've chosen the simple way). One would
> however need to check how this would be implemented best (e.g. it should
> be marked somehow so that the destructor later on does not try to work
> with already finalized fields; also all fields (Strings, arrays,
> interfaces, records, etc.) should be finalized so that it is
> consistent).

A finalizer must clear all managed fields, otherwise memory management
were corrupted. Doing so may destroy other managed objects, so that
possible consequences must be considered. I wonder whether the sequence
of clearing fields may cause trouble?

> Also it needs to be observed how other reference holders
> might react to that "zombie" instance.

Right, this should be considered by the developer.

> A further problem might be legacy
> code which gets passed a reference counted instance (on which ARCIncRef
> was called to keep it alive) and which then calls Free. Might not be the
> intended result by neither code... This might be the reason of
> Embarcadero to implement Free as a no-op and add a new DisposeOf which
> does what you suggested.

Then Delphi compatibility has to be maintained. Is DisposeOf fully
automatic, or can it be overridden or otherwise influenced (field
sequence...)?

DoDi