[fpc-devel] VMS Pascal Compiler mode

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 25 14:09:48 CEST 2014

On 24.10.2014 13:22, Richard Apthorp wrote:
> Porting a large project running on the VMS operating system written in
> Pascal to Linux and Free Pascal.
> However there is no compiler switch for HP VMS Pascal. Would be really
> useful if just the main syntax differences could be catered for eg:
> Specifying parameter names in procedure calls (instead of overload) - I
> could provide a list.
> Noticed GNU Pascal has such a compiler switch.
> Anyway in the middle of writing a pre-processor to make the syntax
> changes but wondering if anybody has done something similar?
> HP having just announced VMS retirement after 35 years there must be a
> lot of HP Pascal around some of which will need to be ported!

I'm not aware of anyone developing a compiler mode for HP VMS Pascal (or
Compaq Pascal as it seems to be called). So feel free to implement it
yourself (you could start small by only adding the new mode first and
maybe a compatibility unit for special type declarations that will be
automatically loaded like the ObjPas unit for modes Delphi and ObjFPC or
the MacPas unit for the Mac Pascal mode).

Regards,
Sven