[fpc-devel] Building 2.7.1 on current Raspbian fails

Paul Michell Paul at michellcomputing.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 16:58:33 CEST 2014

On Friday 17 Oct 2014 12:02:23 Paul Michell wrote:
> On Friday 17 Oct 2014 11:35:30 Henry Vermaak wrote:
> > Where are these files on your system?  I remember after multiarch
> > happened on debian I had to add some library paths to get fpc to link.
> > This sounds like a similar issue.
>
> They do not exist in my FP directory tree.  However there are copies in the Raspian /usr/lib
> tree here:
>
> /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/crti.o
> /usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.6/crtbegin.o
> /usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.6/crtend.o
> /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/crtn.o

Henry was correct about the paths.  I managed to complete the build with:

make all OPT="-dNO_THREADING -Fl/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf -Fl/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.6"

I'm not sure I need the -dNO_THREADING, but I left it in from Joost's suggestion.

The new build was then installed with:

sudo make install PREFIX=/usr
sudo make install sourceinstall PREFIX=/usr  [Not sure if I need this as well?]

Recreated the symlink with:

sudo rm -f /usr/bin/ppcarm
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/fpc/2.7.1/ppcarm /usr/bin/ppcarm

Then created the new config with:

sudo /usr/lib/fpc/2.7.1/samplecfg /usr/lib/fpc/2.7.1 /etc

This seems to do the trick, I could compile my Pi projects again, although I had to add the two paths
to my build commands.

What are the files crti.o, crtn.o, crtbegin.o, crtend.o used for by Free Pascal?
Is this dependency something new, or has it always been there?

Thanks for all of your suggestions,

Kind regards,

Paul Michell