[fpc-devel] CMem allocator memory alignment experiment

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Nov 19 12:01:35 CET 2014

On 19 Nov 2014, at 11:49, Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) wrote:

> Since the RTL's allocator is documented to align to 16 bytes

Where? At least http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/prog/
progsu173.html only says that the size is rounded up to a multiple of
16/32 bytes; it doesn't say anything about the alignment. Besides,
that page is also very much out of date (there is no such thing as
"HeapPtr" anymore), and I don't think we should be documenting that
kind of stuff at all since it can change at any time (only the
interface is relevant/defined). If there would be a guaranteed
alignment (which there isn't at this time, afaik), then that would be
part of the interface contract, of course.

Jonas