[fpc-devel] Encoded AnsiString

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Jan 7 16:59:56 CET 2014

On 01/07/2014 04:24 PM, Craig Peterson wrote:
> They're using the mobile compiler as an opportunity to break backwards
> compatibility and push the language in the directions they want to go.
> A single, 0-based string type, automatic reference counting, no
> "with", etc. Apparently the developers they're chasing after are too
> stupid to know how to deal with more than one string type.

I hope fpc/Lazarus will not follow Delphi on that path.

  - there have been decent discussions in multiple forums showing that
that classes with "automatic reference counting" are dangerous
  - castrating the Strings in that way (supposedly forcing UTF16) seems
very inappropriate.

In fact I do like zero based strings. But this breaks any backwards
compatibility so it can't be decently considered.

In fact I do like dropping "with"  But this breaks any backwards
compatibility. So I don't complain but just don't use it. (There is a
decent way to implement "qualified with" blocks, but I don't think it is
worth the effort.) In the end, the compiler should be smart enough to
create the same code whether or nor not "with" is used.

-Michael