[fpc-devel] Need the snapshots

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Apr 16 18:25:29 CEST 2014

On Wed, April 16, 2014 16:38, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Tomas Hajny wrote:
>> On Wed, April 16, 2014 12:56, Izundu Kingsley wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>>> How can I get the snapshots directly on my mail so I can just save it
>>> on
>>> my device and transfer it to my laptop because am finding it difficult
>>> accessing the snapshot ftp platform with my device. Thanks
>>> Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN
>>
>> Obviously, I don't know for sure what kind of device you talk about.
>> However, if it is related to BlackBerry mentioned in your signature in
>> some way (which may be supported by the fact that e-mail service is
>> specifically well supported on BlackBerry), I'm afraid that you are on
>> wrong track.
>
> I think his issue is accessing the server from his laptop via a
> Blackberry device as the modem.

Well, we're speculating here. Accessing e-mails from laptop connected to
Internet via BlackBerry device used as a modem isn't easier (or less
restricted) compared to other Internet services (or at least compared to
WWW browsing if nothing else). If at least WWW browsing works (whereas FTP
would be blocked, e.g. because of the network setup), it would be possible
to use some public WWW2FTP gateway / proxy server.

One potential case coming to my mind (in the scenariou outlined by you
above) would be e-mail traffic going through BlackBerry specific APN which
might be charged differently by the mobile network operator (e.g. via flat
fee ;-) ) from regular Internet traffic if using the BlackBerry as a
modem.

BTW, some of the FTPMAIL servers from Internet prehistory
(http://ftp.lanet.lv/ftp/mirror/x2ftp/msdos/programming/x2www/ftpmail.html)
might still serve their purpose thus supporting the original request _if_
it is really matter of getting the files to some other device via the
e-mail channel.

Tomas