[fpc-devel] Multithreading under DOS

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Thu Sep 26 21:21:57 CEST 2013

Vmix was an excellent multitasker.  Recently, it's been (partially)
released as opensource, though it's nowhere near as complete as the
old shareware product was.  Vmix operated by the simple expedient of
creating a virtual 8086 machine for each simultaneous program the user
wished to run.  It worked very well, and I'm honestly surprised it
didn't get more usage than it did.  Something like that would be
perfect for a multitasking/multithreading dos.  I believe this is the
approach early versions of windows used (pre 3.0 maybe?) It obviously
doesn't solve everything, but if someone were to write such a thing,
and modify the underlying dos implementation to match, you could quite
reasonably create a multitasking/multiuser version of dos that was
probably 60-70 percent compatible with existing dos apps.  It'd be a
fun project, though I'm sure my assembly skills aren't up to the task.