[fpc-devel] Multithreading under DOS (was: [Lazarus] Why development remains constant for msdos?)

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 25 17:40:47 CEST 2013

On 09/25/2013 01:45 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Nikolay Nikolov wrote:

>>> While this absolutely does make sense, one could think about
>>> alternatives.
>>>
>>> AFAIK, (at least for some archs) there is a variant of the pthread
>>> (="POSIX thread") library, that internally does "user-land
>>> multithreading". IIRC, the original POSIX definition was done with
>>> exactly this in mind and, regarding Linux, the original Linux
>>> implementations (aka "Linux Threads")  was not fully compatible with
>>> POSIX. Only some years ago, the Linux changed it's way of
>>> Kernel-based thread handling to the POSIX compatible "NPTL"
>>> implementation.
>>>
>>> Thus it should be possible to link fpc projects to a user-land
>>> thread enabled version of pthreadlib and allow for working with
>>> TThread in DOS.
>>
>> I've actually thought about implementing some sort of multithreading
>> for DOS for a long time. The problems are the following:
>>
>> 1) DOS functions are not reetrant and are thus not safe to call from
>> different threads. There's an undocumented InDOS flag that indicates
>> whether a DOS function is safe to call:
>>
>> http://stanislavs.org/helppc/int_21-34.html
>>
>> But the RTL currently doesn't check it before every call and normally
>> it's only used when writing TSRs.
>
> It's more complex than that: there's undocumented provision in DOS for
> context switching under certain well-defined conditions, and each
> context can invoke int 21h irrespective of other contexts' states.
> That sort of thing was used fairly extensively by- for example- IBM
> real-time control executives (RIC card etc.) but it wasn't until the
> 1990s that it leaked to general knowledge see Ralph Brown's list).
Interesting. I didn't know that. That makes it even more feasible to try
to implement multithreading under real mode DOS.

>> 2) In DPMI protected mode applications (such as go32v2), you cannot
>> modify the return address from within an interrupt handler, which
>> means you cannot implement your task scheduler as a timer interrupt
>> handler, because you won't be able to switch to a different context
>> from there. Doing this would require modifications to the DPMI host
>> (cwsdpmi.exe) and will not work if another DPMI host is active (such
>> as when running in a windows dos prompt, etc.)
>>
>> 3) Even if you solve 2), DPMI requires that all code and data touched
>> from an interrupt handler to be locked, so that it cannot be swapped
>> out. This is a tedious and error prone task to do from a high level
>> language such as pascal. You should ensure that your entire
>> scheduler's code and data are locked. An alternative option is to
>> switch to a DPMI host, that doesn't support swapping (i.e.
>> cwsdpr0.exe), but then you lose the virtual memory support (and thus
>> the ability to run on machines that don't have enough memory).
>>
>> 2) and 3) do not apply to 16-bit MS-DOS.
>>
>> Another option is to implement cooperative multitasking, which would
>> require each thread to call periodically an yield function. This
>> solves 1), 2) and 3), but threaded code written for other OSes will
>> require modifications to run under DOS. However, that's still better
>> than not running at all.
>
> The DPMI issue sounds... interesting, but if I recall correctly what
> you do is provide a per-thread entry point analogous to a unix signal.
> A preemption interrupt transfers control to this, and then a coroutine
> mechanism- outside the ISR- transfers control to the most deserving
> thread.
>
> Sorry if that's a bit vague, it's been many years since I played with
> this. Implementation left as an exercise :-)
Yes, but the problem is, when the ISR occurs, you cannot transfer
control to this per-thread entry point, because when a hardware
interrupt occurs, the return address is actually in a hidden ring 0
stack and you don't have access to it. You can probably do it with a
known DPMI host, that runs your program in ring 0, such as cwsdpr0.exe.

> Whether it's really worth tackling, and whether any implementation can
> be really reliable, are questions to be considered.

It's worth for the fun factor for me at least :) As for reliability, I
bet you can make it as reliable as Windows 98 was at the time, which is
not that great, as we all know, but still quite usable.

Oh, and before I forget, later versions of DR-DOS have a version of
emm386.exe which supports multitasking and has an API that supports
creating processes and threads (from both real and dpmi protected mode) :

http://www.drdos.net/documentation/multtask/

This should be easy to implement under both i386-go32v2 and i8086-msdos.
Since the FPC rtl has support for pluggable thread managers, it can be
put in a unit like cthreads.

Nikolay