[fpc-devel] Can someone confir 2.7.2 cross arm is currently build-able

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 2 19:51:34 CEST 2013

On 02.09.2013 19:14, Michel Catudal wrote:
> Le 2013-09-02 11:44, Sven Barth a écrit :

>>> What we get is a bizarre error which gives little information as to why it barfs
>>> Compilation works perfectly if using snapshots from may. That is what I have on my funtoo odroid right now.
>>>
>>> michel ~ # fpc
>>> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.7.1 [2013/05/18] for arm
>>> Copyright (c) 1993-2013 by Florian Klaempfl and others
>>
>> Only use the last stable release (currently 2.6.2) or a compiler of the exact same SVN revision to compile a trunk (or fixes) compiler. Nothing else is supported and might break unexpectedly.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sven
>>

> Version 2.6.2 doesn't have all the latest for lazarus and has some issues with hard float on ARM. I have a working 2.6.2 on my ubuntu version on the odroid U2. The stuff that doesn't work on Lazarus with that version works perfectly on my funtoo on the
> odroid U2 where I use fpc 2.7.1 from way back in may.
>
> You must not have read what I wrote or have no clue whatsoever about the subject. Read it again and if you do not have any idea about the problem, just go away and let people who know comment.
>
> I have no interest whatsoever in using binaries that I do not compile myself. For one thing, except for a version on Debian, a good version doesn't exist or is soft float.
>
> Development version of fpc worked perfectly for what I did with it back in may but has been broken since. I would prefer using the lastest SVN stuff but it is has been useless since may.

Every other developer of FPC will tell you the same: The only supported
version for compiling a development (2.7.1) or fixes (2.6.3) version is
either the last release (2.6.2) or a development/fixes version of the
same revision and nothing else.

2.7.1 definitely is a development version and it sometimes happens that
things will break in a way that a older revision is no longer able to
build a newer one. We do not check for compatibility with older
revisions and the only way we guarantee that works is a compilation with
2.6.2.

The softfloat 2.6.2 compiler should be able to compile a hard float one
and as far as I've understood the softfloat discussion it should also
work on hardfloat systems. Otherwise you could compile a hardfloat
compiler on a Debian system (using a 2.6.2 as starting compiler), move
that to your odroid U2 and build the compiler (of the same revision!)
with that (the compiler does not use libc or any other library so you
can freely move it between Linux systems).

Regards,
Sven