[fpc-devel] Re. z370 Cross Compilation, Pass 2 of ....

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Sep 1 15:51:45 CEST 2013

In our previous episode, Mark Morgan Lloyd said:
> One of the links I posted earlier demonstrates that GCC is generally
> tailored to suit the prevalent assembler on each operating system
> (Linux, MUSIC/SP, CMS or whatever). That obviously doesn't imply that
> the macro packages that serious assembler programmers would expect are
> available.

That cuts both ways. The 16-bit target uses nasm, and it is really noticable
that it operates much slower than (G)AS.

Speed is also the main reason for an internal assembler. It is yet noticably
faster compared to AS.  (and then I'm not even discussing old styled (non
section based) smartlinking, when it is several magnitudes)