[fpc-devel] Is target mips-embedded possible / planned?

Michel Catudal mcatudal at comcast.net
Fri May 17 23:36:50 CEST 2013

Le 2013-05-17 03:36, Michael Schnell a écrit :
> On 05/17/2013 02:42 AM, Michel Catudal wrote:
>> using the PE from Microchip.
> What is "PE" ?
>
> If you intend to use a PIC as an interface chip why not just use a PICKit as the hardware and implement your software on same ?
>
> In fact Microchip themselves sell the PICKit hardware with multiple firmware variants loaded (e.g. as an adapter to attach asynchronous and SPI data steams to USB.
>
> -Michael

PE is a programming software that is uploaded to the PIC32. It increases the download speed quite a bit. What I am looking at is a very fast program by using GPIO instead of sending bit bang command thru USB. I do that stuff for fun, it distracts me from
my automotive and military software I have to do day after day.
Microchip provides this PE for free. I think that they use it with the PICKIT.

With the odroid they have a small interface ($15) that connects to the USB, I got two of those. I think that I should be able to upload some custom software to the PIC that is on board. The PIC is  PIC18F45K5O-QFN. The only catch is that the compiler is
$200, need to convince the finance minister (wife) unless I can find a cheaper one.
If I can access enough GPIO on the Mele A2000G I might use that one for that. Hacking the Mele was kind of interesting as I had to be able to read a few Chinese words to change the language to French from the default Chinese. I have created a Gentoo with
Mate desktop on that one. It is about half the speed of the Odroid but it has a connector for a sata hard disk, The odroid runs at 2Ghz and has a nice heatsink and a fan.

Michel

--
For Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal