[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Delphi 7

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Mar 4 10:04:24 CET 2013

On 03/04/2013 09:49 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>  The solution must work on ALL platforms...

Of course.

I don't remember ever having seen a system (Windows, Linux, x86, ARM,
NIOS (similar top MIPS) ) where the C compiler does a library call when
accessing a threadvar. Usually a register is dedicated for this purpose
that is loaded with a thread specific value by the OS. I do know C
compiler implementations that don't support threadvars at all and thus
are unable to support FUTEX and with that low level thread
synchronization is a lot slower as always a userland/system switch is
necessary. Here hardware (atomic instructions) and the OS implementation
(e.g. "Atomic Region" to overcome such limitations for userland) comes
into play.

I remember from a discussion some years ago that fpc uses a (supposedly
arch/platform depending) library call with any access to to a threadvar
instead of using the appropriate (arch/platform depending) register. But
I did not recheck recently.

-Michael