[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Delphi 7

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Mar 2 11:28:25 CET 2013

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> On Saturday 02 March 2013 10:52:18 Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, what seems obvious from your numbers is that it is the linking
>> stage that needs speedup. This does not really come as a surprise.
>>
> On Windows FPC linking time of MSEide is about 2-3 seconds IIRC, I'll check it
> later, currently I try to make MSEide+MSEgui Kylix3 compatible so we have a
> benchmark on Linux too.

When you do, please send me the output of a strace -f

It will allow me to see what IO the Delphi/Kylix compiler does.

We can say for sure that the fact you use .pas as filename extension
will cause FPC to do twice the number of stat() calls, because .pp is
searched first...Logical therefore that the IO is slower.

(for example renaming all files to .pp takes off +/- 1 second here)

Nevertheless, I'd be interested in seeing the strace.

Michael.