[fpc-devel] Performance of string handling in trunk

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 26 18:29:04 CEST 2013

Michael Schnell schrieb:
> On 06/26/2013 03:44 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> There never is a conversion when assigning to/from rawbytestring,
>
> So what do you suggest should happen when assigning a RawByteString to a
> normal String ? The result could be a strange thing that is encoded
> other than the type requires. To me this behavior is a quirk go and
> should not be capt just for compatibility. .

Then you have two choices:
1) convert the string as required
2) copy the content unconverted, but update the encoding

IMO a reasonable decision should take into account the use of the
RawByteString type in RTL code, e.g. for concatenation.

Can you show us your intended code for these functions?

DoDi