[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-pascal] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jul 12 11:52:22 CEST 2013

In our previous episode, vfclists . said:

> At the end of the day there is a deeper philosophical issue here. An IDE
> user is like a spreadsheet user, he is both a developer and consumer and he
> shouldn't have to revert to primitive or external tools to customize or
> gain immediate functional insight the very tools and program libraries he
> is working with.

If you get deep and philosophical, you must first question your first
assumption, namely that documentation should be comments at all.

I prefer some separation between documentation and source. Yes, it is a
lofty goal to edit them at the same time, but embedding the documentation
into the source is then only the way of the least resistance. Not the best
way.