[fpc-devel] Realtime systems using FPC (was: where do download BinUtils for ARM - Raspberry Pi?)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 10:11:35 CEST 2013

Jonas: please excuse this, I'm trying to keep it relevant.

Michael Schnell wrote:

>> Something like RTLinux with the equivalent of a PLC implemented at the
>> core level is obviously one solution to this sort of problem.
>
> This again is why I vote for the BBB. The TI CPU chip used, features two
> ARM M3 CPUs with their own additional memory space additional to the A8
> main CPU. So you can ruin non-realtime Linux and at the same time use
> the M3 subsystems tor hard realtime stuff with lower guarantee-able
> latency than any realtime-Linux can provide.
>
> IMHO_this_ (both providing a complex (Linux) System for communication
> and standard stuff plus very low latency hard realtime) is a very common
> request with modern embedded appliances.

Do you have any URLs etc. for the BBB in this context? Could the
realtime stuff realistically be coded in FPC, or would this effectively
mandate a distinct target?

Noting Michel's "Linux is a trojan" comment, would the developers be
confident using the FPC RTL in a (single-threaded) safety-critical
application? What about the FCL?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk