[fpc-devel] for-in-index loop

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jan 25 15:20:28 CET 2013

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, vrt277 wrote:

> On 01/26/2013 12:27 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> You are new on the list, and so probably do not know this, but I hate
>> wikis.
>> Wikis are - by and large - a perfect example of what goes wrong in IT and
>> in Open Source:
>> Lots of things get started. Few are actually finished.
>
> Probably you think what mailing list is better ? In mailing list new user
> will not see even things that was started. I also dislike poorly maintained
> wiki and poorly maintained software and poorly maintained anything.

I am glad we agree.

I do not think that a mailing list is better for keeping lists.
I use it for communication only.

>> We do not need more language features.
> Your point of view is clear and immutable. I guess main reason for you to
> include for-in loop in language was delphi.

It was.

I want to stress that I am not against new language features.

But at the same time I do not think that all possible use cases
must be translated to new language features.

The fight against "language bloat" is a difficult balance.

"For in" is there. It can be used in many wonderful ways.
As such I do not see the need for an extension.

>> But they are all practical things you need in everyday programming to solve
>> programming tasks you will get when you work in an IT company. But these
>> are probably not very interesting from an academic point of view...
> Why not? A mechanism to translate Pascal to Javascript is should be
> interesting even from academic point of view.

Well:
There are even different possible approaches. Last year a google summer of code
proposal was made to achieve this in FPC. I was quite surprised to see that it
was totally different from what I myself had in mind.

> As for everyday programming in IT company then I have my own experience and
> will decide what is useful for me myself :)

Of course; I only presented what is on my personal wishlist...

> You have good wishlist. May be it would be better to store it not in mailing
> list.

I can store the list in the WIKI if this is desirable.
Although I am afraid it will get lost in the depths of Google anyway ;-)

Michael.