[fpc-devel] for-in-index loop

vrt277 vrt277 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 00:54:01 CET 2013

Hi FPC team,

There is good proposed extension of for-in loop on fpc wiki: get
enumerator Position if available
<http://wiki.freepascal.org/for-in_loop#Proposed_extensions>. From my
point of view it's essential part of iterators. Especially for data
structures which store pairs of key and value associated with key.

I want to implement this extension. Moreover I started implementation to
explore fpc internals. Current /(not finished)/ result available on
github. <https://github.com/vkevroletin/freepascal/tree/key-value-iterator>

My motivation is simple: I'm a student. My teacher is Alexander S.
Klenin who should be well known to fp? developers. And I want to
implement some feature of fpc as my graduate work. Through improvement
of for-in loop is not enough for good graduate work but it is good
initial step towards other big contribution.

So is get enumerator Position if available
<http://wiki.freepascal.org/for-in_loop#Proposed_extensions> good idea?

Thanks,
Vasiliy Kevroletin

P.S. links for people who dislike computer mouse:

proposed extension -
http://wiki.freepascal.org/for-in_loop#Proposed_extensions
my branch on github -
https://github.com/vkevroletin/freepascal/tree/key-value-iterator