[fpc-devel] assumed bug in the RTL with ARM v5 regarding loading dynamic libraries

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jan 23 12:34:10 CET 2013

On 01/23/2013 10:56 AM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> Afaik the correct way is:
>
> 1. Avoid any explicit linking commands ($L/$linklib) to libc related files.
I understand that this is exactly what /rtl/unix/dl.pp does. (I only did
it in a testing program to find out where the problem in the RTL is
located.)
> 2. to force linking to libc, USES unit initc, it should contain a $linklib C,
>     or whatever else. (linklib root on beos iirc). It also contains access to
>     the threadsafe C errno.
Will rtl/unix/dl.pp be fixed according to this guidelines ?
(unfortunately I don't think that I would be knowledgeable enough to do
this.)

BTW.: I understand that the way of the fpc RTL is reducing the use of
libc as far as possible and provide the functionality locally whenever
possible. (This of course introduces more problems with supporting
different processor flavors.) So, is it really necessary to use libc for
dynamic linking ?
> 3. Anything else is up to the compiler t_* code that creates the linker script. This
>     code should recognize the need for the switch from prt0 to cprt0
>    (linkliblist contains "c"), and prepare everything that is needed.

Sorry. I can't follow here (I suppose this goes out to those that might
be able to modify dl.pp or whatever appropriately).

Thanks,
-Michael