[fpc-devel] String handling in trunk (was utf8 in 2.6.0)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Jan 5 17:14:56 CET 2013

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013, Paul Ishenin wrote:

> 05.01.13, 23:54, Michael Van Canneyt пишет:
>
>> You are very much wrong.
>>
>> To start with, resource strings are not stored as Win32 resources.
>
> I personally think that resources should be stored in their native formats
> where is possible. This will allow to change them using software designed for
> that environment. For example for windows there are many resource editors
> which can replace icons, bitmap and string resources too. It would be nice to
> have this ability also for binaries which FPC do. On OS X resources are also
> stored different from what FPC do currently - they are stored in application
> bundles as I know, so they can be edited by external programs too.

And Jonas is worried about the overhead in the compiler by simple 1/2 byte format ?
I doubt this will relieve his worries ;-)

The idea of FPC's resourcestrings implementation has always been to be independent
of any OS features so it is a cross-platform solution. That's how it is implemented,
and as far as I am concerned that's how it should stay as the default.

If we do what you think by default, then people making a cross-platform app will need to start
using different technologies to translate their strings. I doubt that is a good solution.

Currently, people that want to use native win32/OSX resource strings always have the option
of doing so, but no special language support for it exists.

Michael.