[fpc-devel] fp IDE and gdbint on Debian Wheezy/testing

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Nov 5 15:00:39 CET 2012

On 05 Nov 2012, at 14:40, Vincent Snijders wrote:

> I found out the cause of *my* problem. The ld provided by Ubuntu
> (version 2.22) was in /usr/bin. There was also an older version 2.21
> in /usr/local/bin which was actually chosen. Fixing that solved my
> problem.

Yes, the default system linker's built-in linker script contains the
search path for all system libraries. That is the reason why we don't
use the "-T" option the linker complains about, because doing so would
tell the linker to ignore the built-in linker script and hence also
those system-specific library search paths.

We could also very easily get rid of the -T warning by getting rid of
all the built-in linker scripts in the compiler, and replacing them
with just the parts that are FPC-specific (basically keeping the
".fpc" section), but for reasons I still don't understand some people
think this would cause problems.

The only argument in favour of keeping the compiler-internal linker
scripts for Linux targets that I currently can think of is that it
would probably make the built-in ELF linker harder to realise (it
would probably have to ask the system linker for the default linker
script then). We could also let the internal linker use a compiler-
internal linker script and the external linker the system default one,
but that's probably not a good idea (ideally the internal and external
linker would use the same settings, both from a support and from a
predictability perspective).

Jonas