[fpc-devel] Re: Class field reordering

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 06:54:47 CEST 2012

On Saturday 21 July 2012 23:57:50 Florian Klämpfl wrote:
> Am 21.07.2012 23:06, schrieb Ivanko B:
> > No, just reorder the fields so that they can be properly $IFDEFed as
> > protected for nonLAZARUS and left (private) as is otherwise.
>
> Why should lazarus people have less chances to mess with private fields?
> Either we make them public for all or for nobody. Of course, then
> everybody has to take care of the fact that users might mess with these
> fields.

As I wrote earlier:
"
 Suggestion:
For all FCL base classes which are used in different toolkits and which can't
be forked without breaking precompiled third party components, namely the
units classes and db, move *all* private fields and methods to protected and
mark them as "Use on your own risk, can be changed everytime! Don't cry
afterwards.".
"
The {$ifdef} IvankoB suggests is not ideal because it either needs different
precompiled RTL's or the users must compile the RTL for non Lazarus use.

Martin