[fpc-devel] Class field reordering

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 21:13:42 CEST 2012

On Sunday 15 July 2012 19:21:58 Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> > Currently I need access to the following private FCL class fields because
> > of MSEide+MSEgui extensions:
>
> I have looked at your list. (I sent my previous mail about this without
> having seen the list)
>
> At first sight, I see no reason to make any of these fields protected.

Jup, I feared it. ;-)

> For example:
> TParam.FBound
> Is directly accessible through TParam.Bound, so why on earth would you need
> to have it protected ??

Hmm, this probably is a mistake from me. Was it writeable in all FPC versions?

> Can you give some explanations at least of what you're trying to do,
> maybe we can find workarounds for your problems ?

Before I started to use cracker classes I searched workarounds for weeks or
even months already...
If you want you can grep the MSEide+MSEgui sources for "cracker" in order see
what I do with them. TComponent, TWriter, TReader for example because in
MSEide+MSEgui one can place additional components in an inserted tframe and
combination of inherited frames and inherited forms need special handling.
The DB components mainly because MSEgui stores string fields as UnicodeString
in datasets and because of the direct data access by index without scrolling.
The stream components because in MSEgui there is a single hierarchy for file
and memory stream so the more specialized descendants (ttextstream,
ttextdatastream) can work on files and on memory.

Martin