[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Dec 26 22:05:10 CET 2012

In our previous episode, luiz americo pereira camara said:

> > That's likely because of the slower process startup time of Windows. Also
> > the GNU utilities we use (make, etc.) aren't the fastest on Windows either.
> > Also command line output can slow down things dramatically (cmd.exe or the
> > PowerShell aren't that fast).
>
> I always wondered if adapting fpmake to produce make files with native
> commands like DEL or COPY instead of rm.exe and cp.exe in windows
> would have any performance benefit. Is this worth the

Since trunk works with fpmake (and not with fpcmake), there is no reason to
invest in fpcmake. fpmake already implements this, though currently it only
works for packages/

But the slowliness is not just these tools. Just compiling an unit (that
uses a bunch of other units) in one compiler run is the said magnitudes
slower. Without make (and thus no tools)