[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC statusy

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Dec 25 12:55:41 CET 2012

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> > and linked about 10 times as fast as FPC.
>
> AFAIK Delphi's command line compiler does not allow you to skip the
> assembling and linking phase, so the fairest comparison would be to
> compare the compilation of a single unit as there the linking phase is
> skipped. If Delphi is still better there then there are two
> possibilities: improve the internal assembler or the parser/code
> generator. Please keep in mind though that FPC's code generator is
> written in such a way that the backend can be switched rather easily. As
> we learned with the developer's blog entries about Delphi XE2 this
> wasn't the case with Delphi XE and older. So it could be that you can
> never reach the speed of Delphi 7's compiler as FPC is more portable.

The numbers Martin names (up till 10 times slower, even without linking) are
the numbers I have in mind too. IMHO denial without tests is unfair.

I had a setup where I compiled zeos with FPC and Delphi (which doesn't
link), and iirc the results were also 7-10times, with delphi XE.

When I'm home after Christmas I'll play a bit and see if I can duplicate the
experiments with Delphi XE3.