[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:29:10 CET 2012

Am 17.12.2012 16:20, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> Sven Barth schrieb:

>>> We should wait for and explore how the multi-target Delphi handles
>>> that.
>>
>> No. We need to think about this ourselves as we support more targets
>> than Delphi ever will support.
>
> Nonetheless it would be wise to wait for an Embarcadero solution. They
> might invent a new cross-platform model for their packages, in which
> case we ended up in yet another package model.

 From what I see so far of the route that Embarcadero takes (complete
reimplementation of compiler, sudden appearence of "type helpers" and
things like "zero based strings") I predict that we'll reach a point in
the near(!) future where we won't (be able to) follow Delphi's lead
anymore. And thus I don't think that we'll need to wait for Embarcadero
for this.

Regards,
Sven