[fpc-devel] Unicode in the RTL (my ideas)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 15:07:50 CEST 2012

Martin Schreiber schrieb:
> On Wednesday 22 August 2012 02:01:09 Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> You still miss the point. Why deal with single characters, by index,
>> when working with substrings also covers the single-character use?
>>
> Why not if it is faster, simpler and more intuitive for beginners?

Because they will find out soon, that such an simplified approach is
inappropriate in working with Unicode. English people had a hard time to
accept the existence of larger character sets (than ASCII), and
considered it "other people's problem". But when talking Unicode it's
*your* problem if your procedures fail on foreign languages or
codepages. Ignoring ligatures or other foreign languages' constructs and
habits will bite you, sonner or later.

DoDi