[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 09:53:28 CEST 2012

Am 21.08.2012 09:31, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> On 21 August 2012 09:13, Martin Schreiber<mse00000 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I disagree. Handling 1..4(6) bytes is less efficient than handling surrogate
>> *pairs*.
>
> Yet another myth....

Ehm, I did both. In the beginning MSEgui switched from Widestring to
utf-8 encoded Ansistring because of the buggy FPC widestring
implementation (MSEgui started with Delphi/Kylix). Some weeks later I
switched back to widestring and bite the bullet to write FPC bug reports
until it reached usable stability.

  But if you are such a UTF-16 (actually UCS-2 as
> that is what MSEgui supports) fan, why isn't MSEgui source code stored
> in UTF-16 encoding either? ;-)

Sure, MSEgui uses utf-8 for external storing and exchanging text data.
Internal all is 16 bit UnicodeString. Use the best encoding for the
task. ;-)

  There is good reason why UTF-8 is so
> popular. And by the way, a UTF-8 codepoint is only 1-4 bytes in size.

It depends on the specification, seen the parentheses?.

Martin