[fpc-devel] FPC 2.7.1 r22088 fails with compiler error in fpdoc.

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 16 09:58:02 CEST 2012

Am 16.08.2012 09:50, schrieb Michael Schnell:
> On 08/16/2012 09:37 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>> You must do a "make cycle" in the main or compiler directory, with as
>> a starting compiler version 2.6.0.
> Never heard of this one =-O
> What does it do ?
>>
>> Usually, I do a
>>  make cycle PP=ppcx64-2.6.0
>>

> should I PP the compiler to be used to compile fpc ?

You don't need "make cycle" for just compiling the compiler, rtl and
packages. "make cycle" in the compiler directory is used internally by a
"make all" on the top level source directory to build a new compiler in
multiple steps. It's also mostly used by us compiler devs to ensure that
the compiler still compiles ;)

> Right now, for compiling I do
>
> make clean all FPC=/usr/local/bin/fpc
>
> and
>
> /usr/local/bin/fpc   is
> Free Pascal Compiler version 2.7.1 [2012/07/16] for i386
>

> Some time ago I used a dedicated (old) version of fpc to compile fpc,
> but after this did not work any more, I updated my script to use the
> most recent version I was able to compile.
>
> Is this wrong ? Should I (like in former times) d/l a released version
> (2.6.0) and install it somewhere in a separate directory ?

As said in my other mail: the only supported way to compile a trunk
version is to use the last release which in this case is 2.6.0.
Everything else might only work by chance. Also if this should not work
some time then this is most likely a bug in trunk which needs to be
fixed. The possibility to compile FPC by the last version can be
considered more or less an invariant, which must be kept valid at all
times by the developers (more or less ;) ).

Regards,
Sven