[fpc-devel] bug report 20473: Please add a directive to define string=utf8string

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Oct 13 13:56:50 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Martin Schreiber said:
> Suggestion: Let it be as it is in fixes_2_6, add support for Unicode
> resource strings and invest power into development of Delphi like packages
> for example.

That is already not an option anymore, with the newstr branch merged in.

And while that is an option for you, it doesn't satisfy anybody else. Not
even the ones that want as close to D2009 compatibility as possible, since
they also need the new ansistring type here and there.

> Reading the mentioned thread in Embarcadero forums it seems that there are
> plans to simplify strings in Delphi so in some time FPC needs to catch up
> again.

Without details, such info is useless, since it can't be decided if we
support a superset or not. We can't put off 2 years development on the basis
of a rumour.

It might be so abrupt that we don't decide to follow.