[fpc-devel] new string - question on usage

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 22:11:57 CEST 2011

Michael Schnell schrieb:
> On 10/11/2011 11:30 AM, Paul Ishenin wrote:
>> 11.10.2011 16:52, Michael Schnell wrote:
>>> In fact I still don't understand the difference between a type called
>>> "RawByteString"and a basic new String that happens to be set to the
>>> encoding "RawByte".
>>
>> Encoding RawByte as well as encoding 0 (CP_ACP) are both treated as
>> DefaultSystemCodePage at pleaces where the paticular encoding must be
>> known.

Thanks Paul, now I understand the default AnsiString codepage/encoding
better. I already wondered why an AnsiString has codepage 1252, what
would be quite useless on a Russian, Greek or Japanese system.

> (a) Sorry, but this does not answer the question I tried to ask
> (Difference between a possible type called RawByteString and a basic
> "new string" variable that happens to be set to the Encoding ID "RawByte").

When I have a variable of type AnsiString, and assign an string to it,
then its encoding is reported as 1252 (my system codepage). On Paul's
machine it will have a different encoding, I assume?

DoDi