[fpc-devel] The future of fpmake

Darius Blaszyk dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl
Wed Mar 30 21:25:21 CEST 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 9:12 PM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>>> So it does here, but I doubt this is what we want ? :-)
>>
>> It's not. A possible workaround is to use a distinct extension for makefiles and assign this extension to instantfpc.
>
> I don't think this is needed/wanted. fpmake.pp is intended to be used in tandem with fppkg, and that looks for a fpmake.pp program, not a script.
For FPC yes, but for standalone projects this is not the case as you mentioned. Apart from that I don't see an issue even for fppkg, other than the fact that the extension might be hardcoded, which could be modified. Please note that I'm for a more holistic approach for fpmake.

> (not to mention all the possible complications on Windows, probably Mac OS as well)
Can you name a potential issue you see by renaming the makefile to some other extension? I thought that FPC does not mind which extension you use, as long as the syntax is correct?

Regards, Darius