[fpc-devel] Getting fpc to work on Solaris (11)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 14:01:12 CEST 2011

Ludo Brands wrote:
>> One thing I don't understand is whether there's any scope for the
>> computer type that's optionally fed to binutils's ./configure
>> to appear
>> in the final programs (ld for Solaris etc.). I definitely see
>> references
>> to sol2 as the final part of this parameter in config.sub which I
>> believe is used to check and parse the type, where it's used
>> to specify
>> that the OS is -solaris2 rather than -sysv etc.
>>

> That is how cross binutils are made. On system x you do a configure
> --prefix=dir-to-put-tools
>    --host=the-host --target=the-target
>
> The config.guess script is used by configure when you don't specify a
> target.
>
> More usefull info here:
> http://wiki.osdev.org/OS_Specific_Toolchain

Yes, but you can also do e.g.

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mipsel-linux mipsel-linux-gnu

and what I was wondering was whether the final portion of the parameter
could, in some cases, "leak" into the binaries e.g. into ld's embedded
script, resulting in the sort of problem that Joost reported:

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk