[fpc-devel] Getting fpc to work on Solaris (11)

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Tue Jul 12 08:15:14 CEST 2011

> Can't find any reference to a -sol2 suffix even looking at (SPARC)
> Solaris 8. For that matter I can't find it in the FPC sources, except
> very obtusely referring to a version of gcc. Has install put
> something
> suspect in fpc.cfg?

This is pure ld. Nothing to do with fpc. When ld is built for a platform it
contains an internal script with basic build information (type of binary
file to create, etc.) for that particular platform. This way the user can
easily build the same software on different platforms without being bothered
with platform specific settings. For Solaris 11 there seems to be a gnu ld
around with wrong/corrupt internal scripts. The one I sent to Joost was the
output I got on solaris 10 from a  ld --verbose. If you try this command on
your sparc machine, you'll probably see a lot of differences because of the
different cpu.

Ludo