[fpc-devel] Sparc < v9

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 00:59:48 CEST 2011

Ludo Brands wrote:
> membar and stbar are instructions available as of sparc v9. To get fpc
> running on a sparc <v9

For completeness and playing Devil's Advocate, I do have to ask whether
pre-v9 (i.e. pre-UltraSPARC) systems are relevant any more.

I've got one remaining Sun4m system (SPARCstation 20) here which will
just about run Linux 2.4, not sure it will handle anything later. I've
also got several Sun4d which I've managed to get running SMP 2.4 but not
2.6. Both of those will also run Solaris 8 but I don't think later.

I've got a Sun4c (SPARCstation IPC) which I can't get to run a realistic
(>=2.4) version of Linux, and won't run later than Solaris 7.

I must admit that I'm very attached to the Sun4d, because it performs
spectacularly and is a Xerox PARC design. But I'd certainly not expect
it to run an off-the-shelf FPC.

The remaining question is whether there's any mileage in supporting the
Gaisler Research LEON processor, which I believe is a v8.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk