[fpc-devel] FPDoc sources

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 17:17:25 CEST 2011

On 30/08/2011, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> It is easily possible, of course. When I want documentation created from
> source files, then I use something like PasDoc.

That is exactly what fpdoc does too... generates documentation based
on source files.

> The requirement for perfectly compilable source files, with all options
> and include files, stands in contrast to building mere documentation.
> Since fpdoc offers no means to add target specific documentation in the
> xml files, it should be able to build target-insensitive documentation.

That falls outside the scope of the fpdoc project. It simply generates
documentation based on what information you give it.

Of course this process could greatly be enhanced by the help of any
IDE that knows about fpdoc. Simply ask the IDE (which already knows
the source code files it manages, paths and include paths) to generate
a fpdoc build script for your current project or package or library,
or it could execute the fpdoc application directly. The IDE can
extract from its project settings all the required information to pass
to fpdoc.

In fact, this sounds like such a good idea [even if I had to say it
myself], I'll be adding it to my experimental IDE.

> Furthermore, when fpdoc requires package names, why can't it read the
> source files from the package files,

fpdoc's reference to "packages" is not the same thing as "Lazarus
packages". In fpdoc terms, it is just a way to group a set amount of
documentation together. Not everybody that use FPC uses Lazarus IDE -
so there simply can't be such a cross-project dependency.

> and then look for xml files of the
> same names in the xml directory of the package?

I would suggest you implement such a feature for Lazarus IDE as I
described above, or file a feature required for the Lazarus project.

  - Graeme -