[fpc-devel] Generics in FPC have many problems

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 29 21:54:13 CEST 2011

> Wow, Sven, thanks for the reply, and most definitely thanks for working
> on FPC. Anything I can do to help I'll do. Last week I sent patches to
> fix issues with Lazarus CodeTools and the new generic syntax which
> basically caused a lot of problems in the IDE.
>
> I'll be on freenode irc in both #fpc and #lararus-ide for the next few
> weeks at least. Where do you want me to send some unit tests/test
> program source? The issue tracker? One issue for each test that or all
> in all tests in one issue?
>
> Also be sure to let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I
> don't have much experience with OSS collaboration, but am motivated to
> get things done and done the right way.

First it might be good if you'd try to compile my branch and play around
with taht. Do you know how to use svn?
Because there you can find all generic related tests that are currently
available in the folder tests/test/. They are all named tgenericXX.pp.
So if you find a test there that describes one of your problems then
I've already tackled it.

Otherwise it might be best if you prepare a list of your problems and
post them here. This way I can easily decide which ones are already on
my ToDo list, which are already locally fixed or are serious ones that
should be put to the bug tracker. With that I'll tell you for which ones
I'll need tests.

If you post your problems though, then please try to find a simple test
case that by itself could already be compiled with minor
modifications/additions, because in your original posting there is quite
a bit of "noise" in the code, if you understand what I mean ;)

Regards,
Sven