[fpc-devel] ARM vs Thumb2 - can't have both

John Clymer john at johnclymer.net
Mon Aug 22 04:36:38 CEST 2011

Yes, I'm somewhat familiar with mixing Thumb and Arm in C.

However, I believe the intent is to target FPC for the newbie market (that's
what I'm getting from wanting all the hardware peripheral registers installed in
the controller unit file...)  A newbie is NOT going to have any luck intermixing
the two.

That also doesn't solve the problem of the SYSTEM unit.  As the compiler is laid
out now - the system unit sits in a directory of the name <ARCH>-<SYSTEM>.  So,
to support BOTH ARM and THUMB (i.e. Cortex and native ARM7TDMI) SYSTEM files, 2
different builds are needed.  However - they can't both sit in the same
directory (not with the current setup of Makefiles and code.)

I've seen where the compiler inserts the system unit and controller units, so
supporting both would only be a few lines of code there.  I've also seen when
running the compiler in verbose mode (-Va) that the -Cp processor switch is
getting defined to a constant - so one could possibly massage the makefiles into
supporting <ARCH>-<CPUTYPE>-<SYSTEM> directories to seperate the two system
units.

Otherwise, one has the following problem:
1) building for ARM - all the controllerunits compile (because the assembler can
assemble the thumb startup code into arm startup code).  However, when one
builds a program with the resulting SYSTEM and controllerunit file, the startup
will be in ARM mode and cause the program not to run.)
2) building in THUMB - the ARM startup code in the lpc and sam7 controllerunit
files fail to build - as they have ARM specific assembly code in them.

However, if you are claiming that an ARM binary can be linked against a THUMB
SYSTEM unit, then only the startup code remains to get fixed - and things aren't
as messy as I'm perceiving them.

John