[fpc-devel] Arm Thumb2 - Stellaris status

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Fri Aug 19 11:10:36 CEST 2011

Am 19.08.2011 11:07, schrieb Geoffrey Barton:

> On 19 Aug 2011, at 09:55, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
>
>> Am 19.08.2011 10:33, schrieb Geoffrey Barton:
>>>
>>> because one is forever re-compiling the compiler when one
>>> switches to a device with a new peripheral, and if your main
>>> activity is not compiler development but product development one
>>> has to go back and find out how to do it each time. Better that
>>> the core stays the same.
>>
>> This is true, it makes things maybe easier for the first
>> implementor, he hacks together some units and directives but it is
>> harder for any latter user. He basically needs to do the same
>> amount of work as the initial implementator: find out that he needs
>> some directive, find the correct units etc.
>
> exactly so, IMHO! (and in my own experience).
>
> If all he needs to add are a few peripheral definitions and drivers
> and there have been provided some examples of structures which work
> well in practice for these, a new user can be doing useful work very
> quickly and contributing to the collective knowledge from day one.

What I mean is: if the first user of a controller does things properly
(create startup and interface unit, extend t_embedded.pas), subsequent
users of the same controller have much less work, they need only to pass
the correct parameter to the compiler and not to fiddle with
configuration files, directives etc. The compiler takes care of everything.