[fpc-devel] MIPS

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Aug 1 09:47:39 CEST 2011

On 07/29/2011 11:24 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

>   MIPS (or rather, I think, mipsel) seems to be getting a bit of attention
+1

The 32 bit PIC is a MIPS.

The NIOS CPU (that can be programmed into an Altera FPGA) is very
similar to a MIPS.

I suppose a basic MIPS is the straight-forward (=32 bit instruction
word, tenths of General purpose registers) 32 Bit  CPU that uses the
lowest hardware resources, so the chip and FPGA designers love it.

OTHO there is this very interesting "ZPU" architecture (8 bit
instruction set only two (PC and SP) registers) the needs even less
hardware.

-Michael