[fpc-devel] Alternative parsers

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 09:45:29 CEST 2010

Op 2010-10-19 09:07, Vincent Snijders het geskryf:

> Yes, but I doubt this possible fork will be, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Nobody will know, until a fork has been made. As for your opinion that it
will simply fail is a bit of thumb sucking. Some commercial entity could
easily fork FPC, throw 20 full times developers at it, have a nice huge
budget, and take Embarcadero head-on with a cross-platform compiler and
with 32/64-bit support already done. You still think that would fail?

Just look at Qt today - it started with 2 developers that thought they
could do better than what was currently out there. Mozilla, a fork from
Netscape - a pretty good success I would think. Eclipse - an idea IBM had,
thinking it would do better that what Sun offered. Firebird DB (from old
Interbase), PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server (comes from the same original
codebase as PostgresSQL did), MS-DOS, MS Office,...  Many, many more such
success cases exist. All examples of one person/entity thinking they can do
a better job than the original person/entity.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/fpgui/