[fpc-devel] Delphi-like Packages, Plan

Willibald Krenn Willibald.Krenn at gmx.at
Sun Oct 3 22:48:29 CEST 2010

Am 03.10.2010 21:42, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> I don't like the Delph all-or-nothing philosophy here. I'd prefer to
> specify the packages, that shall be loaded at runtime, while all other

You can always load packages at runtime.. That is, after the RTL
supports that of course.

> packages can be linked into the executable. This would allow to use an
> minimal set of external modules, which are shared by the exe and the
> really self-contained packages.

What you probably(?) could do is to link all basic packages into the
executable but still export all symbols, so that when the shared object
is loaded it finds all necessary entry points.

However, at the moment I don't see why this is better than shipping all
necessary ppl files. BTW: I realize that ppl might be a bad TLA - since
it probably means "people" for quite a number of ppl ;-)

> The same effect could be achieved by a separation of packages into
> (Lazarus-type) static libraries, and packages *designed* for dynamic

You had to guarantee that no plug-in depends on a static library that is
also used by another module (so the exe or another plugin).

> Good luck :-)

Thanks, but no luck involved ;)

Cheers,
  Willi