[fpc-devel] Interface delegation fix: backport to FPC 2.4.2 ...? (fwd)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu May 20 10:08:07 CEST 2010

> In our previous episode, Michael Van Canneyt said:
>>
>> It's not because you don't see a need, that others don't have it;
>> there is no point in discussing that, we will never agree on that.
>> Just like I don't discuss religion with people.
>
> Well, there's your precedent problem, right there. Those are exactly the
> arguments that are used for every language extension or deep system change.
>
> Together with "it won't hurt that much", and "it really is only this time"
> and "most people won't even notice".

For each individual proposal, we always make up the balance of pros and cons.

You know this, I know this. I preferred a large Unix unit, you preferred it
split in several. You got your way. Rightly so, you did most - if not all-
of the work. That's how it works.

>> That is an impossibility, since then we cannot use it in the FCL/LCL, which
>> is one of the requirements:
>
> Well, if you are going to push this through pigheaded, there is nothing more
> to discuss, isn't it?

There is no need for terms like 'pigheaded'.

>> So please propose something else, something you concede is not the
>> optimal solution, but which you are prepared to accept, lacking the
>> optimal solution.
>
> I do not see one. If one puts you one cm of a wall and says not to question
> that position, but to find a solution, you simply don't have much working
> space.

I am open to alternatives. Like I said: if you want to start with a clean
slate: I'm all for it, and prepared to discuss, design and code. And
document in the end.

But I also see a need to change the classes unit. So it will be changed,
because several others see the same need, and I am prepared to do the work
and maintain it. Just like it has been for 15 years of open source collaboration
in the FPC team.

I give you the option of proposing something alternative - granted, within
very strict limits, but you can't always get want you want.

Even Mick Jagger knows that.

Michael.