[fpc-devel] Win64 FPC is in wrong download location

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Tue May 4 18:33:52 CEST 2010

> IMO: Native debugging under x64 would be the number 1 reason or
> justification for doing the work.

There is a native gdb for win64. However, I never got a working win64
textmode ide with integrated debugger, so this is no reason.

> The second would be for
> distribution.

Yes, it increases the release building effort.

> The third and most important would be for consistency.
> Is it normal to have to cross compile to a platform you want to
> develop  under daily?

There is nothing wrong with cross compiling. We're not gcc where cross
compiling is a pain.

> Anyways.. All of these arguments are worth the discussion as they do
> in fact relate to why there is no Win64 folder :-)

The are multiple reasons why there is no Win64 native installer.
However, it boils down into: a native compiler/installer is additional
work but it has no real technical advantage over a cross compiler. As
said before: if anybody tests, fixes and builds native win64 compilers
and installers, I'am glad to upload them, however, I'll concentrate on
as good as possible win32 packages.

If anybody builds win64 installers he should also take care of people
installing the native win32 and native win64 installer and a wince cross
installer, nice nasty problem to solve :)