[fpc-devel] Win64 FPC is in wrong download location

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue May 4 17:33:52 CEST 2010

On 04 May 2010, at 16:17, Andrew Brunner wrote:

> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
>
>> Cross-compilers can be just as multi-threaded as "native" ones. This is a completely orthogonal feature.
>>
> True statement but I fear does not address the issue at hand.

"The issue at hand" of this thread was "why is there only a Win32->Win64 cross-compiler and no native Win64 compiler" (well, originally it was "why is the win64 compiler listed with the win32 binaries").

>  You
> guys really need to tap talent - there's gotta be somebody here that
> wants to solve the compile times... And when that is solved... the
> argument of slow compile times as it relates to the reason of not
> having a native 64bit Windows compiler will then become mute...

There is no such argument, since nobody at any point argued that a native Win64 compiler would be faster (other than maybe you in your last post).

> But then again from your prospective... I would certainly really mull
> the complaints over since most likely you two would have to oversee
> the work and get lots of questions along the way.  Seems to me like
> work is being averted here... :-(

Speeding up compilation is always nice (and if anyone wants to dive into the unit loading logic, solve its existing problems and make it multi-threading safe, I'd be delighted -- I already spent several weeks on trying, and largely failing, to merely solve particular bugs in it), but I fail to see how that is in any way related to the current thread.

Jonas