[fpc-devel] Win64 FPC is in wrong download location

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue May 4 16:14:57 CEST 2010

On 04 May 2010, at 15:07, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 4 May 2010 14:12, Andrew Brunner <andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How is it possible that under *nix I'm able to live with the memory
>> performance of 64bit FPC but cannot with Windows?
>
> This is the exact question I asked Florian, but he side-tracked the
> answer. [or I haven't read a new reply yet].

"I did not get the answer I expected" is not the same as "he side-tracked the question". He said
a) we distribute native i386 and x86-64 Linux versions because it is not always trivial to use i386 binaries on a 64 bit Linux distribution. The reason for the separate distributions has nothing to do with speed.
b) we only distribute an i386->x86-64 cross-compiler because on Windows the problem that exists under Linux does not exist, and there is no advantage to having a native x86-64 Windows compiler (at best it will be just as fast as a i386->x86-64 cross-compiler, and at worst it will be slower)

The above is a correct and full answer to the question why we distribute a native x86-64 compiler for Linux even if it is believed to be slower than an i386->x86-64 cross-compiler, and why we do not do this for Linux.

Jonas