[fpc-devel] Win64 FPC is in wrong download location

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue May 4 11:18:34 CEST 2010

On Tue, 4 May 2010, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 04 May 2010, at 09:46, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
>> Cross-compiling is OK for small mobile devices, but not for mature platforms and
>> daily development.
>
> Why not?

Because of 2 reasons:

1. you can't debug properly. And with that I mean an efficient
edit-compile-debug
cycle. I tried debugging a 32-bit app on a 64-bit platform, and
gave up because of all the small but annoying things that didn't work.

2. You need all libraries installed for the target platform,
which is always a pain and sometimes plain impossible.

So I gave up. I can't afford to lose so much time on getting
things that should just work to actually work, when I can simply
do everything natively and not have any of these problems from
the very start.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I do say that doing it natively
is simply much more efficient. I sleep better as well, then ;-)

Michael.